[MlMt] search for attachments

Sun Feb 23 08:42:22 EST 2014

On 21 Feb 2014, at 15:22, Zvi Biener wrote:

> I have a search condition that finds all messages whose
> "Attachment-Count is not 0". This results for me in 4107 messages. I
> now want to specify further conditions on the name of the attachment.
> I used, just to experiment, "Attachment-Name is not xxx",

“Attachment-Name” is a non-standard email header and not very
useful.

> with "all body parts" selected. This results in 513 messages. Why does
> this eliminate so many messages? (indeed, I don't have 3594 messages
> named "xxx" ;-)). If I remove the "all body parts" condition, 0
> messages are matched.

You need “All Body Parts” to make sure MailMate looks further than
the root body part. Also keep in mind a message can have multiple
attachments.

> Can you explain how this works?

When MailMate saves an attachment then the filename is based on a simple
heuristic. I could have made this available through a virtual header,
but I haven't done that (yet). MailMate uses “Content-Disposition ▸
Filename” and if that doesn't exist then the fallback is the
“Content-Description” header (if it exists).