[MlMt] When MailMate opens mail from a MailMate user

Tue Feb 18 03:52:55 EST 2014

On 13 Feb 2014, at 22:40, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2014, at 11:42, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> My main concern is how well suited the Markdown text is to be a plain
>> text body part of message.
>
> That sounds like something the sender of the message should be
> worrying about. Not the MUA. :-)

It's not that simple, for example, no user should have to worry about
the implications of [RFC 3676](http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3676).

>> It might be best if the “markdown” part of the content type is
>> not used when you generate HTML with a custom processor, but you
>> would probably need some way to tell MailMate to do that.
>
> I (with far less knowledge than you) would do this: Allow other
> Markdown processors to be used (defined in bundles maybe), but when
> using anything other than “Built-in”, remove `markup=markdown`
> from the `Content-Type` header. The only drawback I can think of is
> that, if you don’t include the HTML part when sending, you won’t
> see HTML when reading back over your own messages.

It also affects the behavior of MailMate when replying since MailMate
can use the header to know whether or not the use of Markdown syntax was
intentional.

> You *could* specify the Markdown flavor in the `Content-type` header,
> or in some new header like `X-Markdown-Implementation`. The theory
> being that the recipient (if he also had that bundle) could use it to
> render the HTML. But that’s getting pretty complicated.

Yes, and I don't think I should expand the use of non-standard headers
in MailMate :-)

Thanks for the feedback.