[MlMt] When MailMate opens mail from a MailMate user

Thu Feb 13 16:40:24 EST 2014

On 13 Feb 2014, at 11:42, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Just to be clear, I don't officially support the use of other Markdown
> processors than the one “built in” :-)

I get why, but the more I think about it, the more I think it might be
feasible.

> My main concern is how well suited the Markdown text is to be a plain
> text body part of message.

That sounds like something the sender of the message should be worrying
about. Not the MUA. :-)

> It might be best if the “markdown” part of the content type is not
> used when you generate HTML with a custom processor, but you would
> probably need some way to tell MailMate to do that.

I (with far less knowledge than you) would do this: Allow other Markdown
processors to be used (defined in bundles maybe), but when using
anything other than “Built-in”, remove `markup=markdown` from the
`Content-Type` header. The only drawback I can think of is that, if you
don’t include the HTML part when sending, you won’t see HTML when
reading back over your own messages.

You *could* specify the Markdown flavor in the `Content-type` header, or
in some new header like `X-Markdown-Implementation`. The theory being
that the recipient (if he also had that bundle) could use it to render
the HTML. But that’s getting pretty complicated.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/