[MlMt] Syncing mailboxes

Thu Dec 11 04:44:33 EST 2014

On 10 Dec 2014, at 20:59, Capripot wrote:

> On Nov 19 2014, at 14:58, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> But MailMate must **not** be running when doing this and it's not
>> possible to symlink to a Dropbox folder or anything like that.
>>

> Do you know why its not possible to symlink it? I did actually try
> before
> you said it, and it didnt work, but I dont get why. Is it to avoid
> conflicts between to running version with same file?

That's part of the problem, but it's also because MailMate is very
careful when saving files in order to be able to roll back to a safe
state if MailMate or the system crashes. This means that when the file
is updated then it's actually saved to a different file and then renamed
to replace the old one.

> Maybe you could make the file modifiable while the app is running,
> then we could use dropbox to sync them, as we wait for the IMAP
> integration.
> For syncing, maybe you could use git merge piece of software, or I'm
> pretty sure that you have a built-in solution system wise :)

It's not quite that simple and any work I do on this should be focused
on IMAP integration in order not to solve the same problem twice :-)