[MlMt] Close to pulling trigger.

Zvi Biener zvistrash at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 08:35:27 EST 2014

I also don't know how VIP works, but below is a fairly straightforward
way to implement smart mailboxes that single out specific users
flexibly. It is not based on contacts or addresses explicitly, but on
the contents of the mailbox. The system works like this:

The first time I receive an email from a member of group X (e.g., VIP),
I file it manually in a mailbox X - a traditional mailbox is some
location. I set up rules so that if an incoming email is from a sender
in mailbox X, the message automatically goes in there, gets tagged,
flagged, etc. No need to maintain rules that cite actual addresses. I
imagine, this can certainly be made to emulate some VIP behavior.

Here's a riff on the same solution solution:
1. Set up an IMAP mailbox - call it MB1. Put a single message in there
from each user you consider a VIP.
2. Set up a smart mailbox (MB2), that matches all emails from users that
are also in MB1.
3. If you need incoming messages from MB1 users to *not* show up in the
regular INBOX, set up an inbox rule that matches incoming emails to
senders in MB1. You can tag messages as "VIP", move them, or whatever.
(If you tag them, you can also just create a smart mailbox that matches
the "VIP" tag.

The advantage in having a small IMAP mailbox with a single message from
each user is that they are very easy to manage. This is like an internal
address group and equally flexible. the only downside is that it isn't
integrated with Contacts. But if the people in MB1 match the people in
your VIP list, the smart mailbox should emulate the behavior of the VIP
box.

BUT NOTE: To me, failure to integrate with "Contacts" is actually a
bonus. I am a college professor, and I deal with emails from hundreds of
students per year, divided into distinct several "boxes", corresponding
to courses. I certainly do not want these addresses in my contacts. This
system lets me make automatically sort their email very simply, and then
I just destroy the lists (by removing MB1, or MB2, etc.) when I'm done
with the course.

Best,
Zvi