[MlMt] Latest test release, Yosemite, Exchange IMAP, and more

Fri Aug 29 09:24:02 EDT 2014

Hi MailMate users,

I know I haven't replied to the most recent messages on the mailing list
(or direct email), but I'll get to it eventually although probably not
today. Right now, I just wanted to share some details about the latest
test release(s) before the weekend.

## Yosemite

Yosemite hasn't been released yet (the rumors indicate late October),
but Apple released a beta for Yosemite which means MailMate already has
many Yosemite users (more than the number of Mountain Lion users). If
using the latest public or beta release (r3905/r4214) then that is a bad
experience (due to some issues displaying messages). It has worked
relatively well with the most recent test versions, but after installing
Yosemite last week I realized I had to work on various Yosemite issues.
In particular, some performance issues.

Therefore, I recommend for any Yosemite users to fetch the latest test
release. Hold down ⌥ when clicking “Check Now” in the Software
Update preferences pane. Users of earlier OS'es may also notice the
performance improvements, for example, when scrolling in the messages
outline.

Feedback is welcome.

## 64 bit

I have been working (in parallel) on making MailMate a 64 bit
application. This is not as trivial as it may sound, because MailMate is
already pretty memory-hungry for large message stores and going 64 bit
is not going to make that better. Therefore going 64 bit has to be
combined with various non-trivial optimizations. Some of that work has
been done, but it takes time to complete.

Nevertheless, if you do not mind the memory usage and you are prepared
to run an **alpha** (unstable) version of MailMate then here is a direct
link: http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r5000.tbz

The revision number is **a hack** and you should not expect automatic
updates to work.

(Technical detail: Note that if you do not have a large message store
then you may save some memory, because MailMate is no longer going to
trigger the OS to load shared 32 bit frameworks if they are not used by
any other applications.)

Again, feedback is welcome.

## Exchange IMAP

I'm regularly contacted about various issues with Exchange IMAP and I've
implemented a number of workarounds for server bugs. Today I realized
that the `AUTH=PLAIN` login method for Exchange IMAP fails for some
users in a particularly annoying way. It accepts the login credentials
and then fails on some subsequent request to the server instead (with a
BAD response). If you have experienced anything like this then I
recommend trying the following hidden preference with the latest test
release:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmIMAPForcePlainLogin -bool YES

This forces MailMate to use a different authentication method. I'm very
interested in knowing how widespread this issue is.

Have a nice weekend.