[MlMt] Duplicated sent messages (in Sent Mail and in filed-in box), Gmail

Thu Aug 7 09:32:39 EDT 2014

On 7 Aug 2014, at 9:17, Caroline Taylor wrote:

> Again, I come back to why is [Gmail]/Sent Mail behaving differently to
> other folders? Simply mapping [Gmail]/Sent Mail to a tag only treats
> the symptom, so I hesitate to just do that.

Yes, that is not the way to fix it.

> Every duplicated message is in [Gmail]/Sent Mail, but not every
> message in [Gmail]/Sent Mail is duplicated. Only messages I’ve sent
> and that are filed are duplicated. They’re all from [Gmail]/Sent
> Mail, although sometimes the filed message is the one highlighted as
> duplicate.

Ok, this is a different kind of duplicate than what is involved when
dealing with labels. Label-duplicates are caused by Gmail providing the
same email in different mailboxes. In this case you have the duplicate
in the same mailbox — in other words, it is a real duplicate.

Gmail has a “smart” feature where anything sent with the Gmail SMTP
server is automatically copied to the IMAP “[Gmail]/Sent Mail”
folder. Unfortunately this is non-standard behavior since SMTP and IMAP
are usually completely unrelated. In theory, it should be the
responsibility of the email client to upload to “Sent Mail” although
this can be seen as inefficient. MailMate also does this for Gmail and
in theory that would create duplicates, but Gmail also has a
non-standard feature which means that identical messages cannot exist
within a Gmail account. Essentially, Gmail should ignore one of these
messages.

I suspect that for some reason this does not work for you, that is,
Gmail sees the two messages as different (I've just checked with a Gmail
account and I do not get duplicate sent messages). I suggest you try to
send a simple test message and then forward (Message ▸ Forward as
Attachment) the two Sent Mail messages to me off list. Maybe the headers
can reveal something I have not considered.