[MlMt] Duplicated sent messages (in Sent Mail and in filed-in box), Gmail

Gary Hull YH82d7dfU at yandex.com
Tue Aug 5 22:05:53 EDT 2014

MailMate is an IMAP client. Gmail uses an undocumented midification of
IMAP that it calls Gimap. MailMate is not completely compatible with
Gmail. IMAP services like Runbox and Fastmail are fine. Apple's Mail app
ran into the same problems with Gmail. Google is not particular eager to
have people use outside clients, so they are not of much help.

Here are the workarounds:

http://blog.freron.com/category/gmail/

And I think there may be more tricks subsequent to this writeup: check
the list archives.

Basically, the simplest approach is to not use Google's labels, which
are proprietary and non-standard. MailMate is compatible with IMAP tags
and cagetories. Google's labels present themselves as IMAP mailboxes to
clients, causing duplication. I think Benny has an approach for people
who must use the labels (search the archives).