[MlMt] Issue with Mailmate and Basecamp

Wed Apr 23 14:44:16 EDT 2014

On 23 Apr 2014, at 14:13, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 23:46, Dries Geeroms wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> [text]
>
> The above should be fine if Basecamp requires plain text messages. You
> can however probably create a reply so simple that neither
> `format=flowed` or `quoted-printable` is needed (the latter should
> rarely be needed at all, but the quoted text probably contains some
> very long URLs or other non-breakable lines).

Corey (the OP) has been corresponding with the Basecamp people. As far
as I understand, their parser does not like that the headers above do
not include an explicit charset (according to the standards that
implicitly means the charset is  ASCII). This is going to be fixed in
Basecamp.

Even though MailMate behaves correctly I've just reconsidered how this
works and I've decided that MailMate should always add a charset. I
liked that MailMate did not generate more headers than necessary, but
(for various reasons) in this case it is better to be explicit instead
of implicit.