[MlMt] Markdown inside of words

Thu Apr 3 11:16:26 EDT 2014

On 3 Apr 2014, at 16:16, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On 3 Apr 2014, at 5:03, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> I think this would be a good idea. I see many emails where
>> inline-emphasis is used unintentionally and I see very few where it
>> is used intentionally. If anyone feels strongly against such a change
>> then speak up now.
>
> I personally wouldn’t miss it, but if anyone would, it would be nice
> if they could use HTML to get around it, such as `em<i>phas</i>is on
> the wrong syll<i>ab</i>le`.
>
> I suppose that would work if you could switch to a theoretical future
> external Markdown converter, so maybe concentrate effort on that over
> allowing arbitrary HTML. :-)

Yes, inline HTML would also only be an option with external Markdown
converters (except for signatures).

>> Somewhat related, I regularly receive requests for _adding_ various
>> Markdown features/flavors and the plan is to handle it like this when
>> I get time to implement it: Allow custom Markdown (or other syntax)
>> converters which can be used to generate the HTML body part of a
>> message, but when this is done then the converter must also provide
>> the plain text body part and MailMate won't add anything to the
>> headers of the message about the plain text body part being Markdown
>> text.
>
> And in that case, am I correct in assuming that it would be possible
> to actually *view* the plain-text part as plain text? That would be
> nice.

It would have to work that way, but this really should be optional with
the current Markdown plain text body parts as well (I just haven't
implemented it).

> But now I wonder, why not just make it the same across the board?
> [...]
>
> Is it worth maintaining code for the two different behaviors to
> accommodate such a small group?

Yes.

To me the question should be: Is it worth adding the option of
alternative Markdown converters at the price of people using inline HTML
and other unreadable plain text? I'm not so sure ;-)