[MlMt] Markdown inside of words

Thu Apr 3 10:16:11 EDT 2014

On 3 Apr 2014, at 5:03, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> I think this would be a good idea. I see many emails where
> inline-emphasis is used unintentionally and I see very few where it is
> used intentionally. If anyone feels strongly against such a change
> then speak up now.

I personally wouldn’t miss it, but if anyone would, it would be nice
if they could use HTML to get around it, such as `em<i>phas</i>is on the
wrong syll<i>ab</i>le`.

I suppose that would work if you could switch to a theoretical future
external Markdown converter, so maybe concentrate effort on that over
allowing arbitrary HTML. :-)

> Somewhat related, I regularly receive requests for _adding_ various
> Markdown features/flavors and the plan is to handle it like this when
> I get time to implement it: Allow custom Markdown (or other syntax)
> converters which can be used to generate the HTML body part of a
> message, but when this is done then the converter must also provide
> the plain text body part and MailMate won't add anything to the
> headers of the message about the plain text body part being Markdown
> text.

And in that case, am I correct in assuming that it would be possible to
actually *view* the plain-text part as plain text? That would be nice.

But now I wonder, why not just make it the same across the board? That
is, if you enable Markdown, the HTML part is included and the headers
aren’t modified, whether you use the built-in or custom Markdown
converter.

It seems to me that keeping the current behavior would only benefit
people that meet all of the following criteria:

   * Use the built-in Markdown processor (once they have the option not
to)
   * Don’t include the HTML part when sending
   * 100% of the recipients are using MailMate and will see the message
as intended

Is it worth maintaining code for the two different behaviors to
accommodate such a small group?

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/