[MlMt] Crowd Funding 2014

Wed Oct 30 06:40:51 EDT 2013

On 29 Oct 2013, at 12:59, Ryan Erwin wrote:

> I love that I can hit "/" and my default search boxes come up, and I
> can quickly find the message that I need to reference.

Ironically, I think it's too slow to setup a quick search :-) (I have
some ideas for that.)

> If only MailMate could be made a bit more pretty. Embedding Mou's or
> TextMate's syntax highlighting, title sizing and stylization would be
> a good step, and Mou's or Marked's Markdown life preview.

Yes, that would be nice.

Sorry for skipping most of your comments. I did read and digest them.

> So what is the niche?

This is the important question. My goal is to create a niche for an
email application worth paying for. I guess this is also reflected by
the recent price increase. It won't be an email client for everybody and
it doesn't have to be. My goal is to find the best
generalizations/abstractions of common tasks and make that available to
the user. It'll often start with low level plist-hacking, but in the end
it will/can grow into both simple and advanced GUI features.

In particular, I have great expectations to the (experimental) bundle
system. It's undocumented, but it can already do numerous cool things
that I'll hopefully polish and write more about in the future. It is
currently used to integrate with other applications, but it can do much
more than that.

For example: I have 120 crowd funding emails in a folder now. At some
point I need to send a message to all the senders to notify them about
an indiegogo.com crowd funding site. I could create a new message and
bcc them all, but I would like to reply to the original messages in
order to modify some of the replies (answering some comments) and
keeping each thread of communication intact. To do this, I have created
a 7-line plist file which makes this task a single-key action. A
reply-draft is generated for each message with a prefixed body including
a “Dear” string with the first name of the sender. This could, by
the way, be generalized to provide some kind of system for canned