[MlMt] Crowd Funding 2014

Ryan Erwin ryanerwin at mac.com
Tue Oct 29 07:59:10 EDT 2013

## The Hacker's Mail Client

I use MailMate more than any other program on my Macbook Air, which I
keep with me almost all the time in my life of nearly constant travel. I
love that I can hit "/" and my default search boxes come up, and I can
quickly find the message that I need to reference.

![](cid:501D196C-0672-461F-8609-0F9C963495A6 at mac.com "PastedImage.png")

I also love that I can use MultiMarkdown commands to quickly format my
message as a real document - I very rarely attach PDFs or DOCs now.

If only MailMate could be made a bit more pretty. Embedding Mou's or
TextMate's syntax highlighting, title sizing and stylization would be a
good step, and Mou's or Marked's Markdown life preview.

## Keep your hands on the keyboard!

Over the last decade, I've noticed several Mac programs develop a
cult-like following. LaunchBar, Quicksilver, Alfred, Notational Velocity
and MacVim - and that's without getting into all the "keyboard macro"
apps.

 From my prospective, MailMate is already a good keyboard centric app,
but it's still not in the same league in keyboard control as the other
apps I mentioned above.

## Define the Target

MailMate is so close to greatness.

* It's stable enough. A few bugs, but more stable than Mail.app in my
experience.
* It's very fast - as long as I put the 1 year timeframe around my
message buffer. Sure would be great to be able to access all my old
messages with a different type of index when needed.
* It's almost pretty enough, but it needs some care and attention from a
designer.

You could fix all of those things, and we would enjoy MailMate even
more, but I don't think you would see a lot of growth in MailMate
downloads and license rates. You need a SHARP ARROW. Something special
that cuts through the noise. Something people care about, and ultimately
something that people are willing to pay money for. "a 3rd party
alternative to Mail.app" is a nice idea, but few of us are going to fork
out cash to ensure "mail client diversity".

So what is the niche? Let's come up with something better than
"MailMate: The Hackers Email Client".

The other direction that I see as a solid field to grow is simple
message security. Something that is easier to use than PGP, more secure
than PGP (no exposed subject lines!) but I think that requires
rethinking the client and the server, and ultimately if you change it
enough it's not even "email" anymore.

In any case, I hope to be using new and better versions of MailMate for
years to come!

-Ryan in Shanghai
http://freron.com/crowdfunding2014