[MlMt] Crowd Funding 2014

Mon Oct 21 08:31:44 EDT 2013

Dear MailMate users,

as many of you have probably seen then I posted a few times on my blog
at the end of last week. First of all, [MailMate
1.7](http://blog.freron.com/2013/mailmate-1-7-released/) was relased,
but more importantly I posted a personal message entitled “[Changing
Priorities](http://blog.freron.com/2013/changing-priorities/)”. It
describes how my financial situation changes next year and how that is
very likely to affect my future work on MailMate. In short, you can
thank my wife that MailMate exists at all :-)

As part of the blog post I launched a somewhat crude [crowdfunding
page](http://freron.com/crowdfund2014/). I wanted to get a feeling if
this was an option with respect to being able to continue developing
MailMate full time in 2014. I set a deadline November 1st which is a
very short time, but it was also intended to be a quick experiment. So
far, I've received pledges for almost $5000 in total. I'm trilled that
so many quickly showed their support and I've received pledges ranging
from $20 to $200 — and a single pledge of $500!

But (unfortunately there is a but) this is only 10% of my unofficial
goal number ($50K) and it's not very likely that I'll get to 100%. We'll
see. In any case, it has inspired me to look into crowdfunding services
such as [http://indiegogo.com](http://indiegogo.com) for crowd funding
development of MailMate 2.0. This could perhaps be a $25K goal for 6
months of development to make it more likely to be reached. If I do that
then I'll naturally send an email to everyone who has pledged money and
point them in that direction. If you have any good ideas for “perks”
(other than MailMate license keys) then please send them to me.

Note that I have also announced a price change for MailMate. Later today
the price changes to $49.99. See my comments about that in the [blog
post](http://blog.freron.com/2013/changing-priorities/) if you like.

And finally, note that I also posted on the blog about the configuration
of [multiple
identities](http://blog.freron.com/2013/handling-multiple-identities/).

Thanks to everyone pledging money (or buying MailMate license keys)! I
know that some of you are probably even worse off financially than I am
and I truly appreciate your support.

http://freron.com/crowdfunding2014