[MlMt] gpg2 error re OpenPGP messages

Thu Nov 14 15:29:31 EST 2013

On 14 Nov 2013, at 18:07, Erik Mueller-Harder wrote:

I know this is not the issue, but just for the record, GPGTools is
available [here](https://gpgtools.org). It's actually GPG Suite that
should be installed (I recommend installing the parts named MacGPG and
GPG Keychain).

> So because Will has sent this as a secure message and because I
> somehow have a copy of MailMate that doesn’t include GPGTools, I get
> a message that seems to imply that Will’s message is somehow less
> verifiable than all the messages that I get that *don’t* have any
> errors?
>
> This seems less than intuitive.

Will Styler answered this, but I'd like to add that if you have disabled
“verification and decryption” in the Security preferences pane then
the banner should not be shown. It's on by default though, but maybe I
shouldn't do that…

> (And is it “GPG” or “PGP”?  I’d thought it was “PGP” for
> “pretty good privacy”.)

It's two implementations of the [OpenPGP
standard](http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4880). GPG stands for GNU
Privacy Guard. And yes, it's pretty confusing.