[MlMt] gpg2 error re OpenPGP messages

Will Styler will at savethevowels.org
Thu Nov 14 12:25:55 EST 2013

Erik,

Realize that GPGTools is separate software, downloadable elsewhere.  I've had GPG (which is GnuPG, which is a free-and-open-source version of PGP) installed for a long time for Mutt, and I assume that MailMate was just smart enough to read my configuration and figure it out.

It's not that I have a special copy of MailMate, just that I've set up GPG before, and as such, MailMate read it.

The issue of GPG messages being unverifiable without GPG is a universal one.  It's rather like if only one out of the 90 apples at the store has a label saying "Wash this apple, it may be coated in pesticides".  Naive buyers may assume that that Apple's different, rather than that that one apple is simply more honest, and all of them may be coated in pesticides.

Grandma, if using MM without GPGTools, may look at my message and go "Whoa, sketchy".  That's a risk I take when I sign mail.  But I assume that most of the people I talk with either a) Won't care or b) Will look into GPG Tools, or c) Have it installed, and will appreciate the assurances.

I appreciate the way MM handles the signatures.  It's a good way to raise awareness that such things exist.

Just my two cents,

Will