[MlMt] New MailMate User here, and have some questions...

Fri May 31 04:22:00 EDT 2013

On 31 May 2013, at 2:41, Peter Losher wrote:

> New MailMate user, bought the license, drank most of the kool-aid. ;)
> Being a former Pine, Thunderbird, Mail.app user, there are many parts
> of MailMate that I really do like (native OpenPGP support, display
> font customization, keyboard shortcuts).  But there have been some
> drawbacks - if they have already been addressed in the list archives,
> then point me there and I'll read up. (too bad mailman doesn't have
> integrated search capabilities)

I recently added the MailMate list to this service:
http://www.mail-archive.com/mailmate@lists.freron.com/

Right now searching seems to fail for me, but it worked in the past.
I'll have to look into that later.

> My setup is to two IMAP servers, one for work (Zimbra 8.x), one for
> personal (Dovecot 1.x) where sent mail is relayed separately (work via
> Zimbra, personal via my personal server).  Note that I already know of
> the one Zimbra related issue i/r/t folders that is already in the bugs
> queue (and it's more annoying than anything).

Could you try the latest test version:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r3449.tbz

If you still have an issue with Zimbra then write me again (maybe
privately since it's probably not of general interest).

> Per account preferences - since I have to keep work mail separate from
> my personal mail, having the ability to set per-account preferences
> like autoBCC.  I know in the hidden preferences pane you can set it to
> auto-BCC but it's one address overall (I hope I am mistaken)  I have
> been resorting to trying to put it in manually with every message
> which is spotty at best.

It is a hidden preference, because it is quite primitive as you have
seen. I am currently redesigning the mailbox editor and this is also
going to allow more per-mailbox settings (such as reply behavior). I'll
note that I should also consider a Bcc setting. Maybe not per account,
but per mailbox (any kind of mailbox). I guess it could work like this
(also for other features):

* If the currently selected (smart) mailbox has a bcc setting then use
that.
* Otherwise look for a bcc setting for the IMAP mailbox of the message.
* Otherwise look for a bcc setting for the IMAP account.
* Otherwise look for a global Bcc setting.

Don't expect the above soon, but discussing how a feature is best
implemented always makes it more likely to happen in the future :-)

> Use the same font (and size) for printing as display - I am a
> curmudgeon - I like all my plain text email to use a monospace font
> (in this case Courier Prime 12pt).  However when I print out a email,
> it's using Lucid Grande (the old default) and the font size is like
> 16pt. :(  Any way to change that?  If it's HTML mail then use whatever
> fonts it wants, but for text emails it should honor the font settings
> for display which has been my experience with most other MUA's.

Printing has not received a lot of love in MailMate (my own printer has
been broken for years now). I've now changed it such that it defaults to
the display font.

If you want a different font/size then it is possible to do it using a
stylesheet. For example, put the following:

	@media print {
		body {
			font: 12pt "Courier";
		}
	}

in this file (you'll need to create the path):

	~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/Resources/MmMessagesWebView/stylesheet.css

> Threading - $work uses RequestTracker to handle trouble tickets, and
> RT does keep the Reference: header populated, but every message that I
> get from that system comes across as a new thread in MailMate (even
> though the Subject and Reference headers indicate that it's part of a
> larger thread.)  Happy to pass along examples if need be (and I can
> get them sanitized).

MailMate is very strict about threading. Both parent and child must
exist for it to work. If you have two messages where it fails then you
are welcome to send me an example (privately). You can even limit the
example to the `Message-ID` and `In-Reply-To`/`References` headers.

I have a long term plan to allow less strict types of threading, but
it's not at the top of my list.

> Interested to hear any workarounds for any of these issues. ;)

I hope you find some of the answers useful. Thanks for your support!