[MlMt] Future plans?

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Thu May 30 12:04:53 EDT 2013

At 17:45 +0200 5/27/13, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

>Some users claim to use MailMate with 500K messages, but I think
>that requires pretty powerful hardware. I think 50-100K messages
>should work pretty well.

    As a point of data, I have a GMail account with 61K messages and a
private-server account with 49K, and performance is quite acceptable.
Though startup is slow, I think a lot of that is GMail's fault.  Once
I'm past startup, everything is snappy enough, including deep archive
searches and display of messages in very long threads (I never turn
off thread arcs).  I run a 2011 MBP with 8GB RAM and a 2.4GHz Core
Duo.

>In my mind, the major missing features in MailMate are:
>
>Rules (which can be added to any mailbox with actions like "move
>message", "tag", "run script", etc.)
>Commands (essentially scripts executed at certain events including
>keyboard shortcuts)

    I'm a little confused as to the difference.  How are Rules and
Commands distinct from each other?  If I wanted, say, to
automatically filter all incoming mail from the Mailmate Users list
to a dedicated subfolder, would I use a Rule or a Command?

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric at meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/