[MlMt] Future plans?

Thu May 30 17:00:09 EDT 2013

On 30 May 2013, at 18:04, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

>> In my mind, the major missing features in MailMate are:
>>
>> Rules (which can be added to any mailbox with actions like "move
>> message", "tag", "run script", etc.)
>> Commands (essentially scripts executed at certain events including
>> keyboard shortcuts)
>
> I'm a little confused as to the difference.  How are Rules and
> Commands distinct from each other?  If I wanted, say, to automatically
> filter all incoming mail from the Mailmate Users list to a
> dedicated subfolder, would I use a
> Rule or a Command?

Great question. Technically, there is no difference with respect to how
MailMate handles it internally. A rule is a specialized command with a
GUI. A rule is an event (the arrival of a message in a mailbox), one or
more conditions, and one or more actions (for example, moving a
message). Commands are a bit more general with (potentially) more types
of events, in particular, it could be keyboard shortcuts. Input and
output can vary depending on the type of event and a command can run any
kind of script to do the actual work. This is intentionally vague. Don't
want to promise too much :-)

The implementation of rules is going to be based on the existing
implementation of commands, but I'm only going to expose rules to the
user at first since this is a good way to test and evaluate the
implementation of commands. As usual, no promises, I'm not even sure
I'll keep on calling it commands :-)