[MlMt] Unable to send GMail

Eric A. Meyer eric at meyerweb.com
Wed May 8 17:39:43 EDT 2013

At 23:11 +0200 5/8/13, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

>On 8 May 2013, at 22:48, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>
>At 16:30 -0400 5/8/13, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>
>All of a sudden I'm consistently getting errors like this from gsmtp
>when I try to send mail:
>
>S: 421 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later (SF).
>d51sm122311yho.14 - gsmtp
>Error: Unexpected return code 421 (expected 250):
>"4.7.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later (SF).
>d51sm122311yho.14 - gsmtp".
>
>This should be what it says. The server reports a temporary problem
>and refuses to send the message. MailMate could (but doesn't)
>automatically try later, but I'm not sure that would be a better
>solution. To be clear, MailMate cannot send the message when the
>server refuses to do so. Based on the above Gmail is the problem.

    What I can't figure out why GMail is rejecting my outbound mail
when inbound is fine-- and I can do whatever I want via their
web-based UI, including send the rejected sent-mail that got stored
in the Drafts folder.  And it seems like it must just be me, because
if GMail weren't accepting outbound mail in general, we'd have heard
about it by now.

>Followup to that: I can't send mail via my other mail account
>either, though apparently for a different reason. Receiving mail on
>both accounts seems to be fine. Here's what I see in the latest
>failure (I altered the server name):
>
>Yes, that does look like it's for a different reason. No connection
>is made at all. Are you on a very slow connection?

    No, it turns out (as I just found) that the provider had changed
the outbound  mail server's address in a hardware upgrade and didn't
bother to let me know.  Grrrr.  But at least that one's solved, since
it works fine now.

--
Eric A. Meyer (eric at meyerweb.com)     http://meyerweb.com/