[MlMt] Unable to send GMail

Wed May 8 17:11:38 EDT 2013

On 8 May 2013, at 22:48, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> At 16:30 -0400 5/8/13, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>
>> All of a sudden I'm consistently getting errors like this from gsmtp
>> when I try to send mail:
>>
>> S: 421 4.7.0 Temporary System Problem.  Try again later (SF).
>> d51sm122311yho.14 - gsmtp
>> Error: Unexpected return code 421 (expected 250):
>> "4.7.0 Temporary System Problem.  Try again later (SF).
>> d51sm122311yho.14 - gsmtp".

This should be what it says. The server reports a temporary problem and
refuses to send the message. MailMate could (but doesn't) automatically
try later, but I'm not sure that would be a better solution. To be
clear, MailMate cannot send the message when the server refuses to do
so. Based on the above Gmail is the problem. I kind of doubt it, but
there might be more interesting information if you send me the entire
log (off list).

> Followup to that: I can't send mail via my other mail account either,
> though apparently for a different reason.  Receiving mail on both
> accounts seems to be fine.  Here's what I see in the latest failure (I
> altered the server name):

Yes, that does look like it's for a different reason. No connection is
made at all. Are you on a very slow connection?

Again, you can try to send me the entire log offline although in this
case you might already have provided all there is. You can also try
manually connecting to the server like this in the Terminal:

	telnet server.example.com 25
	telnet server.example.com 587

A successful attempt look like this (my server):

	Connected to mail.freron.com.
	Escape character is '^]'.
	220 freron.com ESMTP Postfix (Ubuntu)
	quit