[MlMt] MailMate speed

Erik Mueller-Harder edmh2011 at erikmh.org
Wed Mar 13 20:19:27 UTC 2013

About an hour ago, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote (with the subject
“Offline directories”:

> If you have 100K messages then it should be ok (I only have ~30K
> messages myself). I think the most I have been told to work in
> MailMate is 400K messages, but I believe that requires both a fast
> machine and plenty of memory.

I can’t speak to 400K messages, but if you’re interested in data
points, I can attest to 90K messages being perfectly workable on a
three-year-old iMac with 8GB RAM.

I now have 96K messages on a one-year-old MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM:
there’s certainly a bit of a start-up delay (~8 seconds) when I first
launch MailMate; other than searching, however, nothing takes any time
at all.

In terms of searching, I can’t report any surprises:  common sense
predicts that searching for addresses and subjects will be fast (it is)
and that searching for body text will be slower (it is).  A few things
I’ve discovered have helped save some time:

1.  For complex searches, start by narrowing your search quickly with
address, date, and/or subject searching; then add body-text searching if
need be.

2.  *Paste* terms into the search criteria fields rather than *typing*
them in.  This helps in all fields, but *especially* in the body-text
search field.  For example, typing `foobar` in character by character
gives me final results in just under six seconds; but pasting `barfoo`
in (instead of `foobar`, to minimizing the effects of caching on the
results) gives me final results in less than one second.

HTH,

— Erik

[Vermont Softworks, LLC](http://vermontsoftworks.com/)
993 Coits Pond Road