[MlMt] Ordering of messages in a conversation

Mateusz Parzonka parzonka at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 13:42:36 UTC 2013

On 3 Feb 2013, at 14:30, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 3 Feb 2013, at 14:14, Mateusz Parzonka wrote:
>
>>> is it possible to change the message ordering in a conversation
>>> (multiple emails selected and displayed sequentially)? The current
>>> ordering sorts oldest messages first (up). I would like to have the
>>> newest messages first. Is there a preference for this?
>
>> At the moment i'm not quite sure about the ordering MailMate applies.
>> I have all three mails in a thread selected. They are shown in the
>> message view in this order:
>>
>> a) Received:  Sun, 03 Feb 2013 03:31:57 -0800 (PST)
>> b) Received:  Sun, 3 Feb 2013 03:21:28 -0800 (PST)
>> c) Received:  Sun, 3 Feb 2013 04:11:40 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> Some email is out of order. It is reply, request, reply semantically,
>> looking pretty strange.
>
> It's not a real conversation view (that one is still on the ToDo). It
> is a crude concatenation of the selected messages. The ordering is
> determined by when the messages were fetched by MailMate, that is,
> it'll often look like oldest-at-top, but if you view messages from
> multiple mailboxes then the ordering won't make much sense.
Ah ok, thanks, that should be the reason.

> Adding a better ordering is possible, but I'm not sure it's trivial
> (may not be worth the effort considering all the other shortcomings of
> the current multiple-messages-view). Do you use it a lot?

I was a long-time Sparrow user (running GIMAP), and finally ditched it
because it randomly include line breaks on sending (never could find out
why) and broke formatting when sending code and similar. And it seems to
have eaten a mail at least once. Your application seems to be quite
serious when it comes to formatting, which is a big plus. Nevertheless,
the conversation view was quite nice, so I used to used it always. Maybe
thats why I am missing it a bit right now :-)

>> I can provide screenshots. (In this context i've noted that the
>> distortion mode does not distort the first message in a displayed
>> selection [conversation], and does does not distort the addresses and
>> the subjects of the other messages.)
>
> Are you sure it's that weird? To me it looks like headers are simply
> not distorted when viewing multiple messages.

"Weird" depends on the intention of the distortion mode :-) It is a
bonus-feature not found anywhere else, so I don't want to complain about
it. I just thought, the intention was GUI-debugging and demoing without
revealing private information.