[MlMt] Some questions about MailMate (am testing it now)

Mon Dec 23 10:30:18 EST 2013

On 23 Dec 2013, at 3:23, Doug Lerner wrote:

These are good questions and I'll do my best to answer them clearly.

> 1. Does MailMate support conversations, as in fully expanded
> conversation
> views (not just a list of threads)?

No.

> 2. Since using MailPlane I have gotten to love love love the ability
> multiple-label items. Is that possible in MailMate?

Yes, in MailMate they are named tags and they work with most IMAP
servers. See the “Tags” preferences pane.

> If so, do they sync with Gmail labels?

I recently implemented support for this. It is possible to map tags to
Gmail labels (in the Tags preferences pane). Doing this means that
MailMate is *not* going to fetch the corresponding IMAP mailbox. Instead
the messages (which has to be present in some other mailbox) have tags
instead.

If you want smart mailboxes to match the tags/labels then you currently
have to setup these manually.

> 3.  I also really really like labeling, moving and "go to" shortcuts
> in
> MailPlane. For example, I can type "v" followed by however many
> letters I
> need to find the unique characters of a label and when I select it it
> gets
> archived in the right folder/label. Same with "g" (go to) and "l"
> label -
> which is great for adding multiple labels, and even creating new
> labels on
> the fly. Is that possible in MailMate?

This would be the interface opened when hitting 'T'. Also, if smart
mailboxes are created then you can use ⌘T to go to them. You cannot
“move” to these mailboxes (⌥⌘T), but that could perhaps be a
feature request (the future rules system might also allow setting up
such actions manually).

> 4. If multiple labels are possible, how are multiple-labeled messages
> supposed to appear in iOS Mail? If something is multiple-labeled, I
> can see
> it in the multiple folders in MailPlane and Gmail, but in iOS Mail I
> don't
> see many of the messages in the iOS IMAP folders.

I would expect iOS Mail to show those messages in the Gmail label
mailboxes. Just like MailMate does if not mapping to tags.

> Instead I am often only
> only able to find some mails I was looking for in "All Mail".l How
> would
> that work in MailMate?

Messages only present in All Mail are not fetched by default in
MailMate. This is because it would lead to duplicates in the past. I
improved this
[recently](http://blog.freron.com/2013/mavericks-gmail-apple-mail-and-mailmate/),
but you are going to have some performance issues with that if you have
many tens of thousands of messages. This is why it's still not fetched
by MailMate by default. I'm going to look into this eventually, but I'm
not yet sure whether MailMate or Gmail is to blame. Probably both.

To fetch All Mail you need to “Edit ▸ IMAP Account ▸ …”, then
“Edit Subscriptions”, and finally mark “All Mail” as subscribed.

> 5. Somebody told me that multiple-labeled mails are actually
> duplicated in
> MailMate, rather than using references or "smart folders." Is that
> true?

It's true if not using the Gmail labels feature described above (mapping
to tags). And just to be clear: The problem is that Gmail duplicates the
messages over IMAP. When an email client doesn't store duplicates then
it's because the email client has a workaround implemented specifically
to handle Google's alternative implementation of IMAP. I know this
distinction doesn't really matter in practice :-)