[MlMt] Thread sorting

Gustavo Daniel Villarreal irongus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 14:06:16 EST 2013

On 3 Dec 2013, at 12:50, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> On 3 Dec 2013, at 11:09, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
> That makes sense to me. The current model makes it really easy to lose
> messages. My inbox has thousands of messages, with lots I haven't
> gotten to reading. So if someone replies to something old, I'm not
> going to notice unless it appears in my recent messages unless I
> switch to unthreaded mode, which I really would rather not do.

I was, too, very used to seeing newer messages on top on a conversation
view on Mail.app. What helped me transition to MailMate were two things:

- In the Preferences > Viewer, select Bold font for unread messages.
This makes it easy to see a thread that contains unread messages so you
don't miss anything new. It is a little disconcerting to see a collapsed
thread showing the first "From" address as new, but you can get used to
knowing it doesn't imply that particular mail is new but at least one
mail is new within the thread.
- Custom keyboard navigation keys. I mapped "l", which I use to quickly
go to the last message (newest message) in a thread (lastOfThread)
regardless if its a new message or not, "h" to collapse the thread and
move to other threads (collapseThread), and "n" and "p" to take you to
the next unread message or Previous unread message regardless of what
thread has the new message.

I've found this works great for me and I would have a hard time going
back to navigating Mail.app with the arrow keys.