[MlMt] Thread sorting

Tue Dec 3 11:09:22 EST 2013

On 3 Dec 2013, at 17:01, Kee Hinckley wrote:

> Shouldn't a thread sort by the most recent message, rather than the
> oldest? I was looking for a mail message I knew had arrived recently
> and couldn't find it because it was underneath the original message,
> which arrived several weeks ago.

MailMate uses a strict threading model. If two messages are shown as
parent/child then it's because the child is a reply to the parent. This
model cannot be reversed (or it would make little sense). The only
variation I can think of is to display the most recent message as the
root when the thread is collapsed...

This probably won't change before I implement an alternative threading
model which is more like a grouping of messages (like Apple Mail). This
model only has 1 level and this makes it possible to have the most
recent messages as a pseudo-root. It also makes it possible to thread
based on other values such as the subject of the message (or any other
header value which might be quite useful for certain purposes).