[MlMt] A better search UI

rail4you rail4you at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 05:07:36 EST 2013

MailMate has a very powerful search system. I like it but I hope there
will be some improvement to make MailMate better. My suggestion is:

1. Complete Breadcrumb navigation

MailMate already uses a breadcrumb like navigation to show the search
term. But you can only come back to the first search condition. You
can't go to root(All emails) directly in the navigation bar. Press "Esc"
or hit "back" button or hit "mailbox" is not clear for people. Why not
add "All Mails" as the root search condition. For example: All Mails ->
Subject is abc -> Date is xxxx -> ...

2. A google like search textbox

I can search almost everything in MailMate search UI. But I must use
mouse to select item of listbox. I can't use keyboard!! I hope there
will be a single textbox like google. You can input any search format
string in it. For example:
I input "#date is 2013-12-2", it will search today's emails for me.

3. Custom search

MailMate can save custom search. But custom search converted to a smart
mailbox. I can't use custom search directly in the search UI. It is
better MailMate show custom search in a listbox or somewhere easy to
catch.
MailMate can put such search near save button. (I can mock an UI but I
don't know how to publish images in mail list).