[MlMt] mailmate randomly changes the sender address

Alberto Caporro acaporro at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 05:36:06 EDT 2013

Hi David,

I've just sent Benny an email related to a different issue with sender
address selection; I'll forward him this one too, if he doesn't jump in.

Thanks,
Alberto

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM, David Levy <entropydave at mac.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> kind of heuristic should be applied.
>> 2. If the algorithm is supposed to learn, why am I seeing the same
>> behaviour again and again?
>> 3. Why does this happen only with some of the recipients? I can send
>>
>> emails to other colleagues (same domain) and the sender address is the
>> right one.
>>
>> This has been happening since the first time I've used MM, and is still
>> happening right now; I've also tried removing my accounts, wiping my
>> configuration and starting again from scratch, with no apparent change.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alberto
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 7:16 AM, David Levy <entropydave at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Tom
>>>
>>> So far as I know, there is no way to disable this feature.  There is
>>> almost certainly a way to reset your past usage history.  Benny (the
>>> author) will know.
>>>
>>> I have not encountered any behaviour like you describe.  There is nothing
>>> random about the behaviour for me.  I have five accounts and several of
>>> those have aliases, so I could send from any of about 10 addresses.
>>>
>>> When I create a message, the sending ID is initially set to the account
>>> currently selected in the message viewer, e.g. if a message in account A
>>> is
>>> selected, then the ID of my new message is set to A.
>>>
>>> The first address I type determines my sending ID after that, so if I
>>> type
>>> in an address I have most recently sent to using account B, my sending ID
>>> is changed to B.  Subsequent addresses do not change this, unless I
>>> delete
>>> the first and type a new one.
>>>
>>> So far, nothing random.
>>>
>>> If I now wish to send to this person that I most recently wrote to from
>>> account B, using account C, I can do that by selecting from the the
>>> pop-up
>>> at the top of the composer window (or use ctrl-cmd-i which is what I use
>>> select addresses).  Then the message is sent from account C.  So far, not
>>> random.
>>>
>>> I do not know why you have four accounts, but I do because two are for
>>> distinct jobs I do, one is my main address for most communication with
>>> the
>>> outside world and one is for friends and family.  I find this feature
>>> super
>>> useful, indeed it is one of the most winning features of MailMate.  95%
>>> of
>>> the time or more, I only want to email work colleagues from my work
>>> addresses and my friends and family from the account for that.  MailMate
>>> makes that happen now with almost zero intervention and no need to
>>> remember
>>> to check from which account I am sending.
>>>
>>> You say that the addresses change without asking.  That is not my
>>> experience.  My experience is that it is deterministic along the lines
>>> above.  Maybe Benny can suggest a way to reset your history and that will
>>> help.  However, if you are fairly consistent, the patterns should quickly