[MlMt] lock ups

Wed Nov 28 14:54:54 UTC 2012

On 28 Nov 2012, at 15:18, Timothy Wright wrote:

> I am a new user.
> Running a recent MBP on 10.8.2

Thanks for trying out MailMate. I'll do what I can to help you out.

> I saw the posts about there being a bug and ran the command in
> terminal to
> fid and also upgraded to the latest test release. Neither of these
> helped.
> I am currently on 1.5 3119

That is the latest release, but the bug it fixes is related to server
certificates. That is not the problem you have. I'm not sure what
Terminal command you are referring to (MailMate has many, maybe too
many, hidden preferences).

> I am using MM to access 2 different gmail accounts.
> One has about 70,000 items and about 5GB and the other has about
> 130,000
> items and about 12 GB.

The performance bottleneck for MailMate is the number of messages (200K
in your case). The space needed for them is less important. 200K
messages is probably pushing MailMate to the limit although I think I
have a few users with that many messages. In any case, MailMate likely
uses a lot of memory with 200K messages. Improving memory usage is on
the ToDo, but I probably won't look into it before going 64 bit (which
is likely to make the problem worse if I don't do something about it).

> I have let MM run overnight several days in a row and it never
> finishes
> getting the archive folder(I followed the steps to mark "all mail"
> with an
> "archive" label. The little spinny thing next to the archive folder is
> always spinning.

Ok, it shouldn't take that long unless the server is slow. You can use
the Activity Viewer (⌘0) to see what MailMate is currently doing (if
MailMate is not hanging).

> Is it indexing and I just need to give it more time? I do understand
> that I
> have a lot of emails.

It sounds like something is not behaving correctly. It is not unlikely
that Gmail has started throttling your traffic, because you have passed
some (unknown) limit. You may need to give MailMate/Gmail a break to
resolve that. You can probably see it in the Activity Viewer if this is
the problem (some responses from the server contains a message about
throttling).

> It makes my mac unusable.

Hmm, that does not sound like a throttling problem. That sounds more
like you have run out of memory (you can use the Activity Monitor
application to get details). Or even worse, an unknown MailMate bug.

It is fine to quit or force quit MailMate if you need to do that. Its
database should be robust enough to handle that.

You may be able to provide me with some valuable information if you
enable some internal timers in MailMate as follows:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate TimersEnabled -bool YES

The output can be sent to `~/Library/Logs/MailMate.log` if you also
enable this:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmLoggingEnabled -bool YES