[MlMt] Moving Smartmailbox sets to other computers

Sat Nov 24 16:07:57 UTC 2012

On 24 Nov 2012, at 12:54, MailMate wrote:

> As we have a number of users using MM i would like to configure on
> different machines a number of "standard" smart mailboxes.
>
> On the other hand we would like people to use and make their own smart
> mailboxes.
>
> - Is it possible to make our own  devider like MAILBOXES,  SOURCES ?
> ex OUR_MAILBOXES

No, that is not possible. The currently existing sections are hardcoded.

> - how can we add a "folder"mailbox like MAILBOXES-Inbox ?
> 	i duplicated Examples but i don't have a count of unread mails from
> the smartmilboxes inside

The universal mailboxes (such as MAILBOXES/Inbox) are a special case.
They have a special key/value pair like this:

	showAccounts = 1;

This makes MailMate automatically setup a submailbox for each IMAP
account. I believe this works for any smart mailbox, but it is not what
you are looking for.

You need this feature: Given a group of smart mailboxes, the parent
mailbox should show the messages of all the submailboxes (or at least
some count of the messages of the submailboxes).

Such a feature does not currently exist :-( but I'll consider it as an
implicit feature request ;-)

> - what could be an easy way to transfer( and also update) these to/on
> different workstations.

Sharing (by copying) the `Mailboxes.plist` file is currently the only
easy way and obviously that does not work well if one does not want the
exact same set of smart mailboxes on all workstations.

That's a whole lot of nays to your questions. The last question is
something I've thought about several times and I think a future solution
is going to be something like this: My planned solution for scripting is
going to a include a bundle system. This would allow you to create a
company bundle of scripts/commands which could easily be shared. This
bundle could include a set of related smart mailboxes and the user could
then drag some or all of these to the MAILBOXES section if desired. (I
guess the mailboxes of such a bundle could be shown in the mailboxes
outline under its own section as a solution to your first question.)
Obviously you should not expect this feature soon.