[MlMt] New messages now have "To:" pre-filled-in

Erik Mueller-Harder edmh2011 at erikmh.org
Wed Mar 21 12:25:08 UTC 2012

Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> Therefore, by default, the `From` address is derived from the
> currently selected mailbox/message. This is how it also worked in
> previous versions of MailMate. The new thing is that the `To` header
> is also pre-filled if there is a `List-Post` header available in the
> current context.

This sounds like a great idea — except that I almost invariably have a
message selected in the message browser, and the likelihood that it
happens to be from a mailing list that I want to write a new message to
is miniscule.

> And then I need to figure out an alternative approach to handle
> creation of new messages using address aliases.

I notice that the same behavior can be invoked via a contextual menu
click on the list name/address when looking at a message already
addressed to the list (e.g., `MailMate Users` and
`<mailmate at lists.freron.com>`) — perhaps that is sufficient?

> I'll think about how to improve the default behavior. I'll probably
> implement the above hidden preference using a popup in the Composer
> preferences pane and let the first account be the default.

I notice that the `From:` address is actually *not* being correctly
derived for me, at least, in the case of this very e-mail list.  It’s
present and very clear as the only `X-Delivered-To:` header, but a
different address is being automatically set as my `From:` address in
this message that I’m typing now.  My subscription address (which is
also the `X-Delivered-To:` address) is, as with you, not in the account
settings — and since MailMate isn’t picking it up, I need to enter
it by hand.

---------

You’ve got great ideas here, I think.  I can’t wait to see where it
all goes!

— Erik