[MlMt] New messages now have "To:" pre-filled-in

Wed Mar 21 09:10:51 UTC 2012

On 21 Mar 2012, at 6:27, Robert Ricci wrote:

>> I can't figure quite out what triggers it but it does seems to have
>> something to do with whether a message from a mailing list is
>> currently selected in the messages pane.
>
> This has been the case for me as well. I've noticed that it doesn't do
> this for *all* mailing lists, just some of them. The common factor
> appears to be the presence of a 'List-Post' header in the selected
> message: if I'm displaying a message that has this header when I
> compose a new message, the value of that header gets pasted into the
> To: field.

That is a precise description of the behavior. It is intended as a
feature, but obviously this thread shows that this is not how the
majority of users see it (currently I'm the only part of the minority).
I'll first explain and then I'll show you how to change the behavior.

I have many email aliases and most of them are not explicitly defined in
the [“Email
Address(es)”](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup) field of
the account settings. This works if MailMate can derive the address from
the headers of the replied message. The address is then used as the
default for the `From` header of the new message. For example, I do this
with my email address for this list.

Now, the problem is that some times I need to create a new message for
the list and since I have not put the address in the account settings
then the address is not available in the list of `From` addresses.
Therefore, by default, the `From` address is derived from the currently
selected mailbox/message. This is how it also worked in previous
versions of MailMate. The new thing is that the `To` header is also
pre-filled if there is a `List-Post` header available in the current
context.

How to change this behavior: The derivation of a `From` address can be
disabled using a hidden preference. This also has the side-effect of
disabling the derivation of the `To` address. Here is a quote from the
Help book:

---

When creating a new message (not a reply) then the default `From`
address is based on the current context (mailbox and currently
displayed/selected messages). You can override this behavior using the
following hidden preference:

	defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmDefaultAccount -string
'imap://username@imap.example.com'

The default `From` address is then the first address defined for the
account. In any case, as soon as you update the `To` header then the
`From` address is updated if you have previously sent anything to the
same recipient.

---

(An exact string to be used for the above can be seen in the `serverURL`
fields of the `Sources.plist` file in `~/Library/Application
Support/MailMate/`.)

The above will have to do for now. I expect to release 1.4.1 today, but
I'll think about how to improve the default behavior. I'll probably
implement the above hidden preference using a popup in the Composer
preferences pane and let the first account be the default. And then I
need to figure out an alternative approach to handle creation of new
messages using address aliases.