[MlMt] Bounce emails?

Joachim Tingvold joachim at tingvold.com
Sat Jun 9 11:19:30 UTC 2012

On 9 Jun 2012, at 8:16, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
> First, I would like to make sure we use the same terminology. The term
> used for the above should be “resending”.

Fair enough -- many clients use the term "bounce", though (like Mutt).

> Bouncing is what is done by SMTP servers when they reject a message,
> for example, when a user does not exist, and just to be clear:
> Bouncing is never going to be a feature in MailMate.

Sure. Don't have any use for that anyways (-:

> “Resending” is described in [RFC 5322][1]. It is required that
> headers are added to the message which clearly shows that it has been
> resent. Most email clients should show these headers, but this is
> where it gets embarrassing: MailMate does not show these headers (I
> really should fix that).

Even if you view the raw source/extended headers? (alt+cmd+u)

> I don't have a strong opinion against implementing resending as
> described in the RFC, but most users requesting it have also asked to
> be able to edit the message as part of resending (apparently supported
> by other email clients). I don't like that except if MailMate forces
> the user to only be able to prefix the message with a plain text
> comment (both the resend-headers and any prefixed text breaks the
> unique email aspect of the `Message-ID` header).

Personally I don't have the need to edit the email before resending it.
If I wanted to add comments, I would use normal forward.

--
Joachim