[MlMt] Bounce emails?

Sat Jun 9 06:16:59 UTC 2012

On 9 Jun 2012, at 2:22, Joachim Tingvold wrote:

> Is there a way to bounce emails in MailMate?

No.

> With bounce, I mean forward an email to another email address, and it
> appears to the new recipient (the address you bounce it to) as if it
> was originally addressed to them.

First, I would like to make sure we use the same terminology. The term
used for the above should be “resending”. Bouncing is what is done
by SMTP servers when they reject a message, for example, when a user
does not exist, and just to be clear: Bouncing is never going to be a
feature in MailMate. The reason is that it would be very hard to create
a message which would really make it look like the email delivery system
bounced the message (try doing it in Apple Mail - no spamming software
would think the message really bounced which I assume is the purpose of
this feature, but I'm actually not sure about that).

“Resending” is described in [RFC 5322][1]. It is required that
headers are added to the message which clearly shows that it has been
resent. Most email clients should show these headers, but this is where
it gets embarrassing: MailMate does not show these headers (I really
should fix that).

I don't have a strong opinion against implementing resending as
described in the RFC, but most users requesting it have also asked to be
able to edit the message as part of resending (apparently supported by
other email clients). I don't like that except if MailMate forces the
user to only be able to prefix the message with a plain text comment
(both the resend-headers and any prefixed text breaks the unique email
aspect of the `Message-ID` header). Maybe Bill can detail his thoughts
on this subject since he's usually good at spotting the pitfalls when
I'm going into a grey zone :-)

[1]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-3.6.6