[MlMt] These filters are awesome, but also confusing to me.

Robert Ricci ricci at cs.utah.edu
Wed Jan 11 07:04:34 UTC 2012

This might not match your workflow style, but for what it's worth,
here's an alternative to autofiling: I use MailMate in a fairly
different way than I use other mailers. Rather than move stuff off into
other mailboxes that I don't read, I tend to make lots of smart
mailboxes and switch between them frequently. (This is enabled by the
fact that smart mailboxes are every bit as fast as 'real' ones and there
is good keyboard support for switching mailboxes.)

So what I do is make a smart mailbox (I call it 'focus') that takes my
Inbox and filters out stuff like spam, mailing lists that I don't want
to read frequently, etc. Then, I create several other smart mailboxes
that reference the stuff in 'focus', and further refine it to include
only mail addressed to me, mail in the last day, mail relating to
particular projects I'm working on, etc. I spend most of my time in
these focused mailboxes, and every once in a while to back to the 'real'
inbox to weed out the spam (spam filter does get false positives, of
course), read the infrequent lists, etc.