[MlMt] Test version available: Support for tags using IMAP keywords

David Vereschagin mailmate at quadrat.com
Fri Dec 7 16:49:31 UTC 2012

Hi, Benny:

> * Preferences include a new pane where tags can be configured. Each
> tag is mapped to an IMAP keyword (IMAP keywords are automatically
> completed using existing IMAP keywords in the database). Note that the
> IMAP server may limit the use of tags. Theoretically tagging should
> work locally if the server does not support it (MS Exchange), but I
> haven't tested that yet. Some servers limit the number of IMAP
> keywords.

Do tags have to be mapped to IMAP keywords? Mapping them to existing
IMAP keywords causes every message using that keyword to be given the
tag. For me this is not a desired result.

Deleting a tag doesn't seem to totally work. I created a tag called
"Billable" and initially mapped it to $hasTD, which was the only IMAP
keyword which seemed to make sense for it. I then created a smart
mailbox that would show messages with the Billable tag.

Then I discovered that every message with $hasTD got tagged with
Billable and was displayed in the smart mailbox. I first attempted to
unmap the tag, leaving the IMAP keyword field blank. This didn't change
anything. Then I attempted to delete the tag and this caused MM to
crash.

On reopening MM I was able to successfully delete the tag and I thought
the smart mailbox would now be empty. But all the messages remained
displayed in the smart mailbox, which indicates that the smart mailbox
was not using my tag, but using the IMAP keyword.

So are tags just a way to render IMAP keywords useable (or not so
useable in my case)?

--
David Vereschagin
Quadrat Communications