[MlMt] Reply to all

Wed Aug 29 09:01:45 UTC 2012

On 29 Aug 2012, at 10:30, Joachim Tingvold wrote:

> When people not in the list sends emails to the list, and I hit
> "Reply", it only adds the list-address in the "To"-field. The address
> of the person who sent the email, is not added.
>
> "Preferences -> Composer -> Reply" is set to "reply to all".
>
> Shouldn't the original recipient be added, either in the "To"-field,
> or in the "CC"-field?

I'm guessing the message also has a “Reply-To” header. I don't think
MailMate has any way to know that the sender of the message is not
subscribed to the list. You are welcome to provide the headers of an
example message.

Ideally, the mailing list software should add a “Reply-To” header
with both the mailing list address and the senders address (whenever the
sender is not subscribed) although I'm not sure that works in all email
clients.

 From RFC 5322 (better known as 2822 or 822):

	The originator fields also provide the information required when
	replying to a message.  When the "Reply-To:" field is present, it
	indicates the address(es) to which the author of the message suggests
	that replies be sent.  In the absence of the "Reply-To:" field,
	replies SHOULD by default be sent to the mailbox(es) specified in the
	"From:" field unless otherwise specified by the person composing the
	reply.