[MlMt] Default app

Thu Oct 20 12:05:04 UTC 2011

On 20 Oct 2011, at 13:55, Thomas Eckhold wrote:

>> This turned out to be a non-trivial question. The short answer is:
>> No, iCal is hardcoded to use Mail.app and does not look for the
>> default email client (which essentially just binds mailto: links to
>> an application).
>
> Does that mean it could work with other calendar apps like BusyCal
> (that is what I am using)? However, BusyCal calls Mail.app by default
> and I believe it doesn't check which email client is set as default
> client (even the manual states it does). BusyCal creates its own ics
> file. Maybe I could ask them to support other email clients like MM.

Well, it depends on how much BusyCal does. The solution/hack for iCal
uses a mailto: link to create the message in MailMate. This supports
setting headers such as To and Subject, and it also allows a body text,
but attachments are not supported by this URL scheme hence the current
limitation. I could allow a custom header name for that like
‘x-attach’, but I need to think about any drawbacks of such a
solution first.

The integration between BusyCal and Apple Mail may go beyond this (I
haven’t checked).