[MlMt] Strange "From" address

Allan Odgaard 5CD37A4B-045B-41E5-9707-57736137CDE4 at uuid-mail.com
Mon Dec 26 12:17:00 UTC 2011

On 26 Dec 2011, at 12:24, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> I dug a little bit into this, and it seems to be because of this line
> in the email I replied to:
>
> I don't know if it's usual for a mailing list to set it this way […]

Normally your ISP / mail server (e.g. postfix) will “stamp” incoming
mail using x-original-to or similar to show the actual address the
letter was sent to.

MailMate prefers such header since the ‘to’ header is often not
reliable, e.g. for this email it’s ‘mailmate at lists.freron.com’.

The x-original-to is unfortunately not a real standard, so my guess is
that the software receiving mail for the aquamacs list add the header
(understandable, if fronted by a normal SMTP server) the mailing list
software doesn’t strip the header before re-sending it to the list
members, and your mail server doesn’t add/overwrite the header (it
might use some other header to indicate the original to address of the
email).

It might be good to see all the headers in the email and know your
subscription address to the aquamacs mailing list.