[MlMt] Strange "From" address

Tue Dec 27 10:05:09 UTC 2011

On 26 Dec 2011, at 13:17, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2011, at 12:24, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
>> I dug a little bit into this, and it seems to be because of this line
>> in the email I replied to:
>>
>> I don't know if it's usual for a mailing list to set it this way
>> […]

[…]

> The x-original-to is unfortunately not a real standard, so my guess is
> that the software receiving mail for the aquamacs list add the header
> (understandable, if fronted by a normal SMTP server) the mailing list
> software doesn’t strip the header before re-sending it to the list
> members, and your mail server doesn’t add/overwrite the header (it
> might use some other header to indicate the original to address of the
> email).
>
> It might be good to see all the headers in the email and know your
> subscription address to the aquamacs mailing list.

Alan created a [ticket][] with the full headers.

[ticket]: http://freron.lighthouseapp.com/projects/58672/tickets/202

Here are the most relevant ones:

	From: David Reitter <david.reitter at gmail.com>
	To: Aquamacs Developers <aquamacs-devel at aquamacs.org>
	Sender: aquamacs-devel-bounces at aquamacs.org

According to Alan the subscribed address is
`alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org`. This

The only header containing the correct address is a `Received` header. I
guess the problem is related to `*.inria.fr` which does not add a
`X-Original-To` header.

The mailing list software, by the way, is exactly the same as used on
this mailing list:

I'm not sure what to do about this other than making the mailing list
address derivation an optional feature in the preferences. I could
perhaps also never trust an `X-Original-To` header which has been added
before a `Delivered-To` header.