[MlMt] mailmate Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2

Amiram Reuveni info at ponentmon.com
Fri Dec 9 07:32:55 UTC 2011

On 8 Dec 2011, at 13:00, mailmate-request at lists.freron.com wrote:

> I'm really delighted to have Markdown working so well in MailMate, as
> you'll soon realize.
>
> # Summary
>
> I could use some help or feedback in how to integrate MailMate with
> Taskpaper from Hog Bay Software.  And to be blunt, it doesn't have to
> work with Taskpaper as much as the Taskpaper files or be able to hand
> things off to osascript(1) for insert.
>
> I have some ideas about how it could or should work, but I don't know
> how to implement this best or if it would be something I'd have to ask
> Benny for as a feature enhancement.
>
> This may also help people using OmniFocus since once we get things out
> of MailMate we can do the rest via AppleScript with Applications that
> support it.  Right?  (Disclaimer: I don't understand all the moving
> parts well enough to have confidence)

Hi Emory,
I use The Hit List and I've talking to Benny about getting stuff out
from MailMate. I gather Applescript support will come in eventually...
In the meantime I did create a workaround which combines AppleScript,
shell scripts and Actions in Automator. Basically it uses the menu item
"Show in Finder" in the "Message" menu which reveals the message in the
finder. Even though MailMate doesn't support AppleScript you can call
this menu item using Apple events so once you are in the Finder with the
message you don't need Applescript support in MailMate to continue. So
actions then go on to copy the file (so not to mess up with the
database) get the bits and pieces out of it such as Subject, alias it,
change the name of the alias to the Subject and finally to bring the
alias into The Hit List using a Service provided by The Hit List to link
files to tasks. There I get a task, for example - Look at "["mailmate
Digest, Vol 9, Issue 2"]". All that by just calling an Automator app
with a keyboard shortcut using a launcher (Alfred in my case but any
would do) while in MailMate with the message you want to take, selected.
Clicking on the link in The Hit List opens the message in MailMate in a
new window. Bear in mind that if you forward or reply it won't reflect
it in the original as here we are dealing with a copy. The reason I
moved to working on a copy was that if you alias the original but then
move the message to another mail box the link breaks.
I'm sure that someone with better knowledge of AppleScript could
consolidate it all into one script. Still, if you want to have a look at
my mishmash let me know your email and I'll send it to you.
Cheer,
Amiram.