[MlMt] New Experimental Version r6028 released

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Mar 24 17:28:05 EDT 2024

On 2024-03-22 at 20:08:33 UTC-0400 (Sat, 23 Mar 2024 00:08:33 +0000)
Henry Seiden <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Sadly, none of my feedback about r6025 was responded to since a
> author, except sound which was a MacOS issue to begin with anyway. It
> was found and corrected from advice here and elsewhere by the author.
>
> Previous issues (as seen in r6025 and still valid, to current):
> * No Help Menu shows up when the item is clicked in the Help Menu. An
> unusual window with a blank screen instead, appears. If it’s a
> Safari linkage, then why is it now broken? Are there settings for
> this?

FWIW, I have not seen that in any recent build. The Help window opens
normally for me currently in 6028.

> * No guidance on how flags work (if they are sent with composed
> messages, which by trial and error, found that they are, so maybe
> it’s moot).

That's interesting. There's no formal standard mechanism for indicating
multiple 'flag' values in a message. The flags that clients use
(including MM) are generally implemented at the IMAP layer as keywords
and don't have any representation in messages as they are handled by
SMTP. Historically, many POP3 servers and some IMAP servers maintained a
Status header in messages, but that is rare these days and is formally a
violation of the IMAP principle that messages are invariant. There is a
standard \Flagged keyword, but

I wonder how you're seeing them transfer...

> * Whether a flag when applied to an incoming message (or a group of
> messages) sticks on that message or is meant to, and/or is suggested
> for any particular use. Seems less useful than tags.

Tags are also implemented via IMAP keywords and given a capable IMAP
server (e.g. NOT MS Exchange) can be entirely freeform. However, they
are intrinsically server-specific and the added layer of MM redefining
keywords as tags with possibly different names just obfuscates
everything.

Some people prefer a constricted set of colored flags, because it avoids
over-classification. I guess. I don't much use tags, flags, or keywords
so I don't really have a ranking of what mechanism works best or why
people prefer one or another. I use a hierarchy of IMAP folders for
organizing instead, which fits my brain better.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire