[MlMt] tags and email client

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Jun 8 11:45:32 EDT 2024

On 2024-06-08 at 07:14:09 UTC-0400 (Sat, 8 Jun 2024 13:14:09 +0200)
aisrael <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Following these email exchanges with Scott and Benny, I finally went to the advanced Search settings of Preside, and much to my surprise, I was able to access 25 of my Mailmate tags (why 25 among the ~100 I use, this is beyond my limited understanding). This is supposed to be impossible, but it seems to work??????

It is almost entirely a server-side issue, as Benny said. However, MM has a slightly quirky feature of using its own private "tag" names that it maps to arbitrary IMAP keywords as defined in the Tags prefs pane so other MUAs do not actually see the MM tag, they see the IMAP keyword. Any MUA should be able to see any keyword set by MM, IF the server supports user-defined keywords.

Beyond that, you may be running into a server-side limitation. I do not know if it remains true, but historically Dovecot (the most common open source IMAP server) supported a maximum of 26 user-defined keywords across any one mail folder when using Maildir storage (the most common choice.) The technical basis of that limit (using a-z as indices in filenames) remains, but I don't know if they have worked around it in the past decade. Other IMAP servers using Maildir storage may have similar trouble. If your 25 is actually 26, I would guess that this is the root of your trouble.

GMail has much stranger issues, as they conflate folders and keywords. MS365 and Exchange avoid the problem by not supporting user-defined keywords. I would guess that there are specific quirks in iCloud and Yahoo mail as well, but I'm not familiar with them.

--
Bill Cole