[MlMt] Messages in one account duplicated in some views, but not others

Fri Jun 7 09:14:15 EDT 2024

On 5 Jun 2024, at 5:24, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> But I don't think it will help me clean up because the messages aren't
> actually duplicated on the server.

When seeing duplicates in All Messages (or other smart mailboxes) then
it's always a good idea to enable the “Source Mailbox” column in the
message list. This will tell you exactly in which IMAP mailboxes these
messages are located.

In most cases, the explanation is one of the following two:

1. Google (Gmail) which does not really support IMAP, but their own
variant of IMAP with different rules. I've written about this (including
how to deal with it) in this manual page:
https://manual.mailmate-app.com/account_setup#gmail
2. Some SMTP servers have the non-standard behavior of saving a copy of
sent messages in an IMAP folder (within the IMAP account which uses the
same login credentials as the SMTP server), but MailMate also saves a
copy. Depending on settings these might end up in different IMAP
mailboxes.

Let me know if neither of the above explains the problem.