[MlMt] To *not* generate HTML

Wed Jul 3 07:51:17 EDT 2024

On 2 Jul 2024, at 17:39, Pete Resnick via mailmate wrote:

> On 2 Jul 2024, at 3:05, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>
>> For example, most Markdown implementations do not “respect”
>> hard-wrapping lines. This does not work well for emails and therefore
>> MailMate handles it differently. Some other email client developer
>> might make a different decision. The behavior might even differ
>> between different versions of MailMate (due to changes in its
>> Markdown utility).
>
> In these cases, where the Markdown is very variant specific,
> text/markdown (RFC 7763) is probably the right thing to do instead of
> text/plain markup=markdown. I understand that would open an entirely
> new can of worms.

It certainly would. This RFC is fine for MIME types in general, but (in
practice) I think it would fail completely if used for the actual
content of the email. Most email clients should just consider it to be
`text/plain`. That won't happen if it had its own MIME type -- *and* it
would require the generation of a `text/plain` alternative which would
essentially mean that the same text would be in the email twice (HTML is
bad enough).

Another issue is that I strongly believe the use of Markdown in emails
should nicely co-exist with `format=flowed`.

> Would you like to co-author an RFC? :-)

No :)

>> Maybe the option you really need is for MailMate to only generate
>> HTML if you use “non-trivial” Markdown.
>
> That would be fine!

I think something like this is the best way forward. No promises though.