[MlMt] To *not* generate HTML

Pete Resnick resnick at episteme.net
Tue Jul 2 11:39:50 EDT 2024

On 2 Jul 2024, at 3:05, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2024, at 20:59, Pete Resnick via mailmate wrote:
>
>> On 1 Jul 2024, at 4:57, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
>>
>>> On 29 Jun 2024, at 4:31, Pete Resnick via mailmate wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, this has not been an option for a long time. The original idea
>>> was that receiving email clients could, when possible, just convert
>>> Markdown to HTML when needed for display, but this has all kinds of
>>> unresolved issues and would only work well when both sending and
>>> receiving email client was MailMate itself.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand that. Sure, there is a variety of markdown
>> that some implementations might not understand, but then it just
>> displays a plaintext.
>
> I don't think it's that simple. Markdown comes in many variants and in
> some cases it won't just fail to convert something, it might convert
> it differently. Also, the plain text free nature of Markdown means
> that there are a lot of small edge cases to consider in
> implementations (https://spec.commonmark.org/0.31.2/).
>
> For example, most Markdown implementations do not “respect”
> hard-wrapping lines. This does not work well for emails and therefore
> MailMate handles it differently. Some other email client developer
> might make a different decision. The behavior might even differ
> between different versions of MailMate (due to changes in its Markdown
> utility).

In these cases, where the Markdown is very variant specific,
text/markdown (RFC 7763) is probably the right thing to do instead of
text/plain markup=markdown. I understand that would open an entirely new
can of worms.

> The use of “markup=markdown” by MailMate is in fact quite naive.
>
>> The simple stuff like bold, italic, etc., everyone can do pretty
>> easily.
>
> That's a good point. There is certainly a somewhat robust subset of
> Markdown features which could be safe to handle. Perhaps that subset
> should be the recommended interpretation of "markup=markdown". That
> said, the same subset would likely be quite safe for interpretation of
> any plain text message.

Would you like to co-author an RFC? :-)

>>> For now, you only have the option of disabling the use of Markdown.
>>> This should prevent the generation of HTML if it's not needed for
>>> other reasons (like embedding replied HTML).
>>
>> Bummer.
>
> Well, it's not like I won't be willing to re-introduce it in some
> form.

Love that!

>>> You are welcome to describe your use case(s).
>>
>> I subscribe to a bunch of mailing lists (primarily IETF) with a bunch
>> of old curmudgeonly people who use old curmudgeonly clients and I
>> would like them not to get all of the extra crud, but still allow
>> people who can change \*italic\* to *italic* to do so.
>
> My guess is that very few (if any) of those email clients look for the
> `markup=markdown` parameter. If they do support converting to, e.g.,
> italic for display then I would guess that they do it whether or not
> the parameter exists.

Did I mention writing an RFC? :-)

>> (And of course there is the obsessive part of me says that you should
>> generate the absolute minimum that you can, and sending HTML when all
>> I've got is one italicized word is not minimum. But I assume that's
>> why you put the option in there in the first place. I notice that you
>> don't put in "format=flowed" if there are no wrapped lines, nor put
>> in a "charset" when there are no non-US-ASCII characters. I just want
>> the same thing for HTML; if you don't need it, don't include it.)
>
> Maybe the option you really need is for MailMate to only generate HTML
> if you use “non-trivial” Markdown.

That would be fine!

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best