[MlMt] local folders

Pierre Igot mailmate at latext.com
Wed May 31 13:08:07 EDT 2023

Hi,

Thanks for confirming this for me. I could probably learn to become more comfortable with Unix stuff, but it has to be worth the investment in time. I really like the *idea* of a local IMAP setup, but I am afraid that, even if I somehow got this working properly, it would easily break down the road with system updates and upgrades and, since it wouldn’t be something that I would be working on regularly and would be fresh on my mind, the cost would be turn out to be too high.

So basically for Mac MailMate users without a solid Unix background, local IMAP is probably not a solution, unless someone comes up with a user-friendly interface for setting up and maintaining Dovecot or another mail server tool one day.

Personally, I’ll stick with EagleFiler for older messages for now, and might invest in more server space at FastMail if needed. (I religiously remove attachments before archiving messages, so thankfully my mail archive is not growing TOO fast, but it IS growing.)

Pierre

--
LATEXT: Literature, music and visuals / Littérature, musique et graphisme - www.latext.com
BETALOGUE: Blog - www.betalogue.com | Twitter: @betalogue | Mastodon: @betalogue at toot.community