[MlMt] missing email from gmail account on one Mac

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Sun Mar 19 17:47:30 EDT 2023

On 19 Mar 2023, at 13:16, Andrew Luk via mailmate wrote:

> First and foremost, I am not a seasoned user of Mailmate, so pardon my
> dumb question

FYI, questions like this are perfect for this forum.

> I have discovered that I can see some gmail email on my Mac mini but
> not on the MBP. I even do a search on the MBP to make sure my view did
> not stop me from seeing the email, but I could not find a trace of
> that particular email
>

> It happened more than once, initially I could not believe it. I can
> see the email on the Apple Mail on my MBP

The blog post linked below from Benny *might* be relevant to your
situation, depending on how you have configured Gmail on your two
devices. Gmail’s data model with message labels instead of folders is
annoyingly not-quite-IMAP, and their support for IMAP is somewhat
hamstrung by the mismatch. It’s possible that you won’t see certain
messages on one machine if your configurations differ.
https://blog.freron.com/2010/using-gmail-with-mailmate/

> A side issue , which may or may not be related. Emails I read on my
> MBP are unread on the Mac mini, may be there is a time delay for the
> imap to reflect the status, but I suspect that there is something
> wrong on my setting somewhere

This last paragraph makes me think the problem is deeper. There is
typically no significant time delay when propagating message state
across multiple IMAP clients. It almost sounds like you’re talking to
two different IMAP servers, where the MBP talks to a server mirroring a
subset of the messages seen by the Mac mini.

One quick check: Are you sure both IMAP accounts are “online” in
MailMate? I have seen MailMate take an account offline after fighting
with another instance of MailMate running on a separate machine.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net