[MlMt] Ghost messages in Drafts folder

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Tue Mar 14 16:39:22 EDT 2023

On 13 Mar 2023, at 5:02, Karl Erik Jessen wrote:

> it is not a feature I would expect in a mail-CLIENT. In my mind it
> only makes sense in a mail-SERVERs

The logic doesn’t work that way, though, because once an SMTP server
receives a message, it’s on its way.

The only way to have precise delayed transmission is for an email client
to hold off on submitting it. Naturally, there may be other delays in
the pipeline once a message is submitted, but those are simply out of
our control.

In the same vein, you wouldn’t give a piece of snail mail to the Post
Office and then ask them to sit on it for a day before processing it.
They would probably just hand your envelope back to you and suggest that
you come back tomorrow.

Philosophically speaking, dividing the email world into “clients and
servers” is a subtle logical trap. In practice, it’s all just a just
bunch of agents making connections and exchanging information using
established protocols.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net