[MlMt] Distribution list

Andrew Buc abuc at andrewbuc.com
Sun Mar 12 16:45:02 EDT 2023

For some years I’ve belonged to a movie discussion group. Every month
we’d see a movie at a theater, then discuss it at a restaurant. The
group more or less fizzled ~4 years ago with members moving away, going
into assisted living, having other commitments. I’m sure that even if
this hadn’t happened, the pandemic and the closure of theaters would
have put an end to the group. I’d set up a distribution list for the
group in Contacts.

A couple of months ago one of our members, in a nice example of lateral
thinking, suggested that we see a movie every month on Netflix and then
discuss it on Zoom. So far it’s working out well. We’ve been using
email to vote on the choice of movie each month.

Turns out that one of the members isn’t interested in taking part.
There have been a couple of times when someone’s emailed the entire
group, including her, people have responded with reply-all, and the
ex-member has gotten emails—you know how that works. She’s sent a
few testy “take me off the list already!” emails. I made a point of
removing her from the movie-group distribution list in Contacts.

A couple of times in the last couple of weeks I’ve set out to send an
email to the whole group, and “Movie group” has come up in the To
field because I’ve sent earlier emails to the group. If I select
“Movie group,” it includes the ex-member, and I have to remove her
address manually. As I said, I removed her from the distribution list.
How do I get MM to address an email only to people on the updated
distribution list. Thanks.